Greed in any culture will cause oppression, manipulation, and the collapse of that society. God has designed a plan for our finances that will allow us to overcome greed and be free to be generous. In this sermon from Nehemiah 5, you will be encouraged to stop the cycle of debt and live free.
1. Admit the _____burden__________ of ______debt______ that greed has caused | Nehemiah 5:1-5
The people CRIED out to Nehemiah because of
- 5:2 | Their big families
- 5:3 | the mortgaging of their property
- 5:4 | loans to pay taxes
- 5:4 | they were powerless to help it
Greed is _____unbelief__________ that Brings _____debt________
Debt is _____slavery_______ that is _______powerless__________ to pursue God.
Proverbs 22:7 | “The rich rules over the poor,
and the borrower is the slave of the lender.”
2. Develop a ___plan_____ to overcome _____greed________ | Nehemiah 5:6-10
- 5:6 | Direct your Anger at a Righteous Solution
- 5:7a | Counsel with myself
- 5:7b | Charges against nobles and officials, Great Assembly
- 5:8 | We have become FREE, and now you have made us SLAVES again!
- 5:9 | Not Good
- We should Fear of God
- Invites our Enemy to taunt us
3. _____Execute__________ the plan to become _____debt________ free | Nehemiah 5:11-13
- Being GENEROUS is an intentional CHOICE to overcome GREED through GIVING.
4. Live __free______ to be _____generous______ | Nehemiah 5:14-19
He paid a debt He did not owe
I owed a debt I could not pay
I needed someone to wash my sins away
And now I sing a brand new song
Christ Jesus paid a debt that I could never pay
Nehemiah 2:20 | The God of heaven will make us prosper, and we his servants will arise and build, but you [GREED] have no portion or right or claim in Jerusalem.
This Week’s Bible Reading
| Nehemiah 4-6 | Matthew 18:21-35 | Luke 7:36-50 | Proverbs 5-9 |
Coming Up: reBUILD in the Face of:
Accusation (1/31) | Devastation (2/7) | Discouragement (2/14) |
Intimidation (2/21) | Greed (2/28) | Distraction (3/6) | Fear (3/13) |